[plug] Re: $US1399 for right to run Linux

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Aug 6 15:00:57 WST 2003

Don't panic folks.

It really is seeming SCO are coming unstuck on this one.

Plus theyve absolutely hosed themselves on licencing.

There claim requires one of two assumptions. Both oposite.
1) One can commit a licence violation without knowing it.
This is required for any attack on licencing outside of IBM (assuming
they prove IBM was naughty).
*HOWEVER* If this claim is true, then its cool cos they have released the
stuff into the GPL by unknowingly accepting the GPL.

 OR

2) One has to know about the licence violation to commit it. Redhat etc
are off the hook, and they will be handing freakishly big loads of cash
over to the FSF if(when?) the FSF destroy them in the courts for
continuing to distribute linux without source after being told that doing
so puts there IP into the free software world.

Also, SCO have not responded to the claim by former employees that they
have put Linux IP into there compatability layer without open sourcing it.

It seems then that SCO might be forced to open source UNIX.

And if that happens, SURELY I will be whoopin it up at the pub.

Its nice when you KNOW an evil company is on its way to the grave. And
they did it ALL BY THEMSELVES!!!!!

Now when is the Open group gonna get off its arse and revoke SCO's right
to use its trademark "unix".

Shayne.

"Must not Sleep! Must warn others!"
-Aesop.