[plug] Mandrake Fire wall

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 7 15:13:38 WST 2003

> 1st On install it some values are written in like the gateway address
> once it is punched in I cant seem to change it through the menu system
> (once rebooted and all is happy) so I thought I would log in as root ...
> well can I can use route to change the default and as such alter it but
> only when the system is running on reboot it goes back to the  original
> version :(

Yeah. "route add" etc is all in-kernel settings only, so it won't be
remembered across reboots. Perhaps there's a config file you can edit,
maybe /etc/sysconfig/network ?

> 2nd I tried to do a backup and alter the gateway in the text file but
> upon restoring the file to the system it completely fell over in a
> screaming heap upon restore  :( I did use notepad to alter the backup
> file maybe thats it but I should think not... Can anyone shed some light
> on this?

Generally, you'll want to use vi or some other UNIX text editor to
modifiy config files. Notepad will insert <CR><LF> line endings, which
may confuse some programs reading the config file.

How did it misbehave anyway? refuse to route packets, refuse to boot, etc?

Craig Ringer