[plug] 2 LDAP issues

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 8 10:31:12 WST 2003

> Oh, problem one still exists. I don't want to have to change
> /etc/pam.d/su etc because I don't think I should need to, I want
> nsswitch to take care of it all for me - I think that should be
> possible. No?

I seem to remember that su misbehaves somehow when using libnss_ldap and
pam_unix, I had to use libpam_ldap . I don't know why, most other stuff
doesn't care.

Oh, when checking about user accounts and ldap config, a really handy
tool is 'getent'. Instead of using ldapsearch and grep /etc/passwd to
get info about your LDAP user status, try, say, 'getent passwd nima'.
You should get a line in /etc/passwd format, but it'll be obtained via
ldap, passwd, nis, or whatever depending on your configuration and
search order in /etc/nsswitch.conf . So it's testing the same mechanism
that your apps authenticate with. Oh, and if 'getent shadow' doesn't
have the password column blanked, then your LDAP security config needs
some quick work...

Craig Ringer