[plug] 2 LDAP issues

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Aug 8 09:53:41 WST 2003

In message <1060270222.7606.31.camel at playboy>
on Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:30:23PM +0800, Nima Talebi wrote:
> Can someone tell me why is slapcat part of the slapd package - I want
> to slapcat from clients, just like ypcat, I dont want the ldap daemon
> there.

My understanding:

LDAP is an open data format for information interchange. That is, it is
just an interface for a directory. OpenLDAP stores its directory
information in a variety of database backends. Those backends are an
implementation detail of the OpenLDAP server and are not relevant to
LDAP clients per se. slapcat, however, is a tool to read from the
database backends that belong to the OpenLDAP server (slapd).