[plug] unzip

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Aug 10 09:43:09 WST 2003

In message <Pine.LNX.4.56.0308092207230.8264 at cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
on Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 10:16:26PM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> my recent friend IRIX: symlinks to some executables in /etc,
> symlinks to /var space from /usr.

It doesn't seem too unusual to see /etc containing symlinks to
executables inSys V-like systems (i.e. /etc contains host-dependent
preferences). Debian uses /etc/alternatives for this. If you mean that
/bin, /usr/, etc. have symlinks to executables that are in
/etc...hmmm...I agree with you...gah! ;-)

As for symlinks to /var from /usr, I see this other operating systems
and it is perhaps rooted in some historical ambiguity (maybe differences
between diskless and disk-based systems?). It is usually "intentional",
though.