[plug] unzip

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Aug 10 16:17:30 WST 2003

> It doesn't seem too unusual to see /etc containing symlinks to
> executables inSys V-like systems (i.e. /etc contains host-dependent
> preferences).

It doesn't seem to be that generally, at least not in OpenServer.

> Debian uses /etc/alternatives for this. If you mean that
> /bin, /usr/, etc. have symlinks to executables that are in
> /etc...hmmm...I agree with you...gah! ;-)

Generally, there aren't any symlinks - it's just something strange
living in /etc not /sbin . I also see lots of things in /usr/lib that
I'd really expect to see in /usr/sbin but I suspect that's an "old unix"
thing, or perhaps /usr/sbin is a Linux thing.

> As for symlinks to /var from /usr, I see this other operating systems
> and it is perhaps rooted in some historical ambiguity (maybe differences
> between diskless and disk-based systems?). It is usually "intentional",
> though.

If there /were/ symlinks, it wouldn't be so bad. But OpenServer likes to
keep things like print spools and config files in /usr. I don't get it.

It also has an /opt/K/SCO directory where most executables /really/
live. Most of the rest of the system is symlinks to them. Why? I'd like
to know too.

*arrggh*

I need a "WTF is it" map, showing Linux paths and their equivalents on
SCO. And I've been using SCO for quite a bit longer (if not as much) as
Linux...

Craig Ringer