[plug] [OT] Continious Ink System (CSI) printer question

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Aug 10 16:47:46 WST 2003

> I'm interested in setting up one of these. Does anyone have any
> experiences with them?

Nope... but I do know how easy Epson printers are to kill if you use
inks they don't like. Our accountant at work picked up some cheap "epson
compatable" ink for our proofer, and it died pretty horribly. Of course,
it's a design feature in the epson printers, to force you to buy Epson
ink - but it works :-(

> example (http://www.mwords.co.uk/pages/cis/costFAQ.htm)

*eek*

That thing is insane. Do they replace your printer if the ink kills it?
Do they guarantee that all inks they sell have been tested on the
supported printer models and are known to be "clean" for that printer?
How well do the various ink types work in a printer that is just not
expecting different inks? That thing costs as much as a mid-range
inkjet, so it'd better be good.

I wouldn't buy one, but I hate inkjets anyway. Dye-sublimation, colour
laser for previews, or B&W laser :-)

Then again, if you think inkjets are expensive to run try running a
dye-sub printer. *ouch*.

Craig Ringer