[plug] MDK9.1 KDE lockup

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 12 15:28:28 WST 2003

>>> I've locked the workstation numerous times before
 >>
>> You have? That by it's self suggests that something isn't right.
>
> Sorry, should've elaborated.  "K > Lock Screen" is what I meant :)

Aha. In that case, the rest of my post it total nonsense - don't worry
about it. Perhaps I'm getting too used to mailing lists where not
everybody knows how to construct a sentance (or spell, or possibly
talk), since I sometimes start making "creative" reinterpretations.
Locked -> "caused to lock up/crash" for example. Sorry.

<rant type="unrelated to original message">

I'm increasingly inclined to refuse to even read any post that doesn't:
(a) Actually capitalize words
(b) Make some attempt to correct typos and spelling errors
(c) Use more than one sentance
(d) Include a description of the problem and their system
(e) Attempt to make sense - stream-of-consciousness is not cool in a
technical email.
(f) Use a vaguely useful subject line, instead of "Help!!!! Urgent!!!!"
Especially, as is common on the XFree86 at xfree86.org list for example, if
it then ends with "I look forward to your prompt reply," "Urgent!!!,"
"Your immediate attention," "Thanks for answering," etc.

They can't even be bothered putting in the effort to write something
that isn't gibberish, then they expect someone to put the effort in to
decode their garbage and fix their problem. I believe it was Jacqueline
who was saying a while ago that some people just don't seem able to
grasp the concept "we're all volunteers here".

Hmm... a filter something like
m/^Subject:\s+(help|urgent|problem)\!*$/
would cut out a fair bit of it... tempting.

</rant>