[plug] Auto-proxy configuration on Linux clients

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Aug 12 22:53:03 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 21:02, Craig Foster wrote:

> Why not take the choice away from the client machines?
> You could set a transparent proxy to point to 10.2.0.4:3128 and use an src
> ACL to dictate whether to proxy or not (choice of direct, no-cache,
> etc)...
> It also stops non-browser programs from accessing the web without logging.

Would be mighty nice, however:

1) I don't have control of the gateway at this stage :(
2) the proxy machine is often up and down as the box is in development,
so when it is down, I want the clients to ignore it, which is currently
exactly what Windoze does.  Being up and down I can't make it the
gateway either - as other more important traffic needs to do its stuff
in the mean time.

Odd case I guess, but that's how it is atm.

Ryan