[plug] Auto-proxy configuration on Linux clients

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 12 21:02:29 WST 2003

Ryan wrote:
> Howdy PLUG,

<snip>

> function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
>   {
>     if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "10.2.0.0", "255.255.0.0"))
>       return "PROXY 10.2.0.4:3128";
>     else
>       return "DIRECT";
>   }
>
> I've tried making the DIRECT a host etc to see what it does and it has
> NO effect at all on the browsers, so it appears as if it is completely
> ignored.

<snip>

Why not take the choice away from the client machines?
You could set a transparent proxy to point to 10.2.0.4:3128 and use an src
ACL to dictate whether to proxy or not (choice of direct, no-cache,
etc)...
It also stops non-browser programs from accessing the web without logging.

Just my 2c woth :P

Craig F.