[plug] AutoFS and Windows Shares

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 13 17:33:28 WST 2003

In message <3F39FE8C.1000508 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 05:02:04PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >And I'm still hanging out for a well supported layered virtual file
> >system. (Where two or more FS's appear as one, layered. eg; Layer a RO
> >CD-ROM FS with a RW FS (RAM, Disk, etc...) to support edits...)
>
> I've heard that something like this will exist in 2.6 . I seem to
> remember reading an article in a recent Linux Journal that explained how
> to create a simple layered filesystem. Something to do with overriding
> VFS calls. I think you can stack multiple layers, too.
>
> Just think - ISO9660 or UDF RO DVD + Copy-On-Write layer + crypto for
> the COW data :-)

At least on face value, that sounds a bit like mount_cd9660 +
mount_union on BSD + mount_tcfs on OpenBSD. Maybe someone has
written a filesystem kernel module for mount_union on Linux
already (note: "filesystem kernel module" is just a string of
words I put together -- maybe it is not the correct term for
how Linux users would refer to filesystem support)?