[plug] Adding new rule iptables

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Thu Aug 14 08:40:38 WST 2003

I'm trying to add a new rule to an existing firewall rule script.  Isn't the format the following?
$IPT -N Virus_blocks
$IPT -A Virus_blocks -p tcp --dport 69 -j DROP
$IPT -A Virus_blocks -p tcp --dport 135 -j DROP
$IPT -A Virus_blocks -p tcp --dport 4444 -j DROP
$IPT -A Virus_blocks -tcp --dport 69 -m limit -j LOG\--log-prefix "Blaster scan"
$IPT -A Virus_blocks -tcp --dport 135 -m limit -j LOG\--log-prefix "Blaster scan"
$IPT -A Virus_blocks -tcp --dport 4444 -m limit -j LOG\--log-prefix "Blaster scan"

If so, what could cause this to create an error :
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

Yet when entered from the command line it goes in without any issues.  I've done a complete flushing of all the rules (INPUT, FORWARD, OUTPUT, NetMeeting, Virus_Blocks) and re-ran the script.

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby