[plug] Flash Plugin CPU Hog

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 14 10:51:19 WST 2003

> I have some real problems with some web banner ads which use Flash. My CPU
> usage goes through the roof, and my web browser stops responding, and I'm
> left with multiple Flash ads floating over the remnants of other windows
> (since the browser has no CPU to redraw). I've had this problem with both
> Mozilla and Firebird.

Are you running Flash 6? That had a number of important fixes for
correct operation with Mozilla/Netscape under Linux, including fixing
some shared memory issues that used to cause it to crash the browser
when running on a remote X server.

Otherwise, hopefully that firebird info page you mentioned will help.

I tried out thunderbird the other day, and it just segfaulted every time
I tried to run it. Yay.

Craig Ringer