[plug] Flash Plugin CPU Hog

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Aug 14 11:48:26 WST 2003

On Thursday 14 August 2003 10:51, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Are you running Flash 6? That had a number of important fixes for
> correct operation with Mozilla/Netscape under Linux, including fixing
> some shared memory issues that used to cause it to crash the browser
> when running on a remote X server.

It's 6.0.79, via debian package flashplugin-nonfree. I've had no stability
problems; just performance problems. I don't know if it's a problem with
Linux Flash and certain flash files, or just a combination of overzealous
banner ads on an older PC.

> Otherwise, hopefully that firebird info page you mentioned will help.

Yep! It does the trick.

> I tried out thunderbird the other day, and it just segfaulted every time
> I tried to run it. Yay.

I used Thunderbird for a few days when my I fnarkled my KDE upgrade. It was
quite impressive for an 0.1 release!
I'm back to using kmail now. (Can't get by without my multiple identities!
^_^)

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |