[plug] LookOut! Outlook express is going away :-)

Stephen Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Thu Aug 14 11:17:19 WST 2003

---- Original Message ----
From: craig at postnewspapers.com.au
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au,
Subject: RE: [plug] LookOut! Outlook express is going away :-)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:55:45 +0800

>http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39115680,00.htm
>
>All I can say is "woohoo." The more recent versions have been more
>secure by default, admittedly, but it's still a security nightmare.
>Not
>to mention an MTA admin's nightmare - "winmail.dat" anybody?
>
>Of course, the real problem is "the technology" - Microsoft MimeOLE
>-
>and that won't be going away. So we won't be free of broken MIME
>messages from Windows users for a while yet.
>
>Still, if this means more home users with Mozilla, Eudora (not that
>it's
>much better), etc, that can only be a good thing for 'net security
>and
>mail standards.
>
>Craig Ringer

You can easily make  Outlook Express 'totally secure' right now:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,39020381,2123807,00.htm

 "Outlook Express ships with every Windows system, or rather as part
of IE, so it's on every system. But unless it is configured to
receive mail, you are not at risk," said Scott Culp, manager for
Microsoft security response.

So, Outlook Express can be made totally secure by not using it?

Steve