[plug] zombie GDM processes

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 15 10:49:53 WST 2003

Hi folks

Has anybody on [plug] seen GDM processes go zombie before? I just had my
  GDM server stop responding to XDMCP connections and go zombie while
still holding the listen socket on the XDMCP port. Of course, you can't
kill a zombie process (WHY?!?) so it was reboot time... *sigh*.

  10:47am  up  2:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.04

Also, if there's any way to force a zombified daemon to release a
socket, I'd love to hear about it. This isn't the first time I've had a
problem caused by a zombie daemon and had to reboot the server. This
just /can't/ happen to the "real" UNIXes, so I'd love to hear how they
deal with it.

Craig Ringer