[plug] Commercial: 5-day Linux Course-Perth

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Aug 16 10:09:27 WST 2003

I always find these 5-10 days intensive training to be a total waste of
time and money.  First off they are only interested in getting paid and
"hopefully" you can pass the exam.  If you are one of the few that have
years of experience behind you and you have some understanding of the
subject then you will be able to pickup what is taught and maybe gain
some useful in-site into the subject.  If not then you'll come out after
the 5-10 days with a major headache and if you are not applying what you
were taught right away then you'll lose it.
Example:  When I did my CNE in the early 90's I had at least 10 yrs
experience working with NetWare and a fairly good understanding of the
product.  I enrolled in a year-long course (3 evening a night 4 hrs per
night of intensive training  and troubleshooting, writing code (C at the
time to write the VLM that NetWare uses), and all sorts of "real-life
things) and yes while it took a year out of my social life (thanks god I
was married) I got to understand the inner workings of NetWare and
Networking and troubleshooting. Then I did my Master CNE training in a 5
day course and this was fine because this dealt with protocols and
integrating other OS's with NetWare.
When I enrolled in a MS Windows course (5 days) and yes I had about 1-2
years of on-the-job experience there were situations that still wasn't
too clear.  I understand the MS Windoze OS to a certain degree (I
wouldn't classify myself a an expert).  But I can install and
troubleshoot the OS, but nothing too fancy.
Now that I've been working with Linux for the past 4-5 years, and no
real formal training, I still have situations that I cannot figure out,
but then the best instructors are always available (take a bow
Pluggers).  I find I enjoy the "learn while doing" a much more relaxed
method and since I'm in a situation where I use the product everyday and
night I see no point in going to a class and paying money for someone to
teach me the "surface" of the product when 1) I have no interest in
another piece of paper hanging on my wall and 2) will lose money in
earnings by attending a class that I have to pay for.  If the classes
are held in the evenings and the price is right .... maybe I would
consider it.
These training outfits have to start thinking about hold their classes
in the evening so that those of us that own our businesses or hold high
pressure jobs can attend without interfering with our day job.

Is this outfit local? Can one re-sit the course if they did not get a
good understanding or fail the exam the first time around if there are
vacant seats? What about if something goes wrong (server or workstation
not working) this lost time is lost $$$.

Best thing I did was get a few folks together and hire a Linux guru to
come to our office and teach us what we needed to know to do our day to
day jobs.... best spent money (Colin.. thanks the notes are still
useful). The instructor took the time to design the class based on our
needs and level and even those that were not up to scratch found it easy
to understand. It was done over a 10-13 week period in the evening.

--
Jon Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>
MMT Networks Pty Ltd