[plug] Commercial: 5-day Linux Course-Perth

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Fri Aug 15 12:03:17 WST 2003

Peter,

I'd have to agree, with what everyone has said on this thread. I mean,
we're all "experts" when we're talking to people that might be employing
us aren't we :-) It's not exactly black and white as to what is and
isn't an expert anyway...

I'm also in training (Java, web dev) among other things and it is
difficult to actually "teach" people the basic concepts of these things.
That's why a lot of trainers go for the "here's how to pass the exam"
method. TEE at high school is the ultimate example.

I think the benefit (with offer in the original post) comes from just
spending that concentrated period, with all the resources there
(including the experts), focusing everything on learning the material -
in this case Linux. I know with my experience with sys admin, I'm more
worried about the job I need to do with the thing I'm installing, so I
tend to just want to get things working and don't really care how it all
works. This is probably where Microsoft takes the market, because most
things do tend to work "out of the box" (although I must admit, Linux
has come quite a long way in that department upgrading from 7.1 to 9.1).

Anyway, enough rambling... please post flames to /dev/null :-)

Ben

Ben New
ben at leftclick.com.au
0407 089 890