[plug] Commercial: 5-day Linux Course-Perth

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Fri Aug 15 11:22:26 WST 2003

Although I had used computers for many years in pathology, I didn't really
know what was inside the box, or how to repair, upgrade, or build one, so I
did an intensive course, advertised as 8 lesons for $2000.

In fact, it proved to be a bit more than that.  The lectures were on Monday
and Friday and there were three pracs in between.  As there were two groups,
the week-day-group and the night-weekend group, there were a second lot of
pracs and since I was 600 km from home with little else to do, I just
settled in there for most of the time.

Bottom line - I now have a ocmputer business and build, repair, and upgrade
computers.  Of course I didn't learn ALL my skills at that course.  I have
learned on the job and from supliers and colleagues.  The Uni degree I went
on to do afterwards provided information in other areas as well.

So, sure, I agree that you cannot replace 3 years self teaching with a 5 day
course.  However, thee is so much time wasted in self teaching - it might
take you a day and several e-mails to this list to solve a problem which
would take a minute to explain in a properly structured course ... so 3
years <> 1095 days worth of learning.

I did Linux at Uni, but still would be interested in doing this course.  The
content and the price are not the problem for me .... more living away from
home and fittin gin with my diary.

Kind regards,  James