[plug] gnome / evolution web links

Luke Dudney dex at wn.com.au
Fri Aug 15 13:08:52 WST 2003

I've got a bit of a strange problem on a RH9 desktop system. I want each
application to behave in a way such that if I click on a web link within
the app, it opens that page in a new tab in the running instance of
Mozilla Firebird. To this end I've configured my redhat "Preferred
Application" as a custom web browser with this command:

/usr/lib/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird -remote "openurl(%s, new-tab)"

When I click on a link in Evolution it does indeed open a new tab
however it loads http://www.gnu.org/ instead of the clicked URL! GNU is
not set as my default homepage or anything like that. If I click on a
link in GAIM it comes up with the Firebird "profile currently in use,
select another one" dialog. Anyone have any clues as to what I'm doing
wrong?

$ rpm -qv evolution gnome-desktop htmlview gaim
evolution-1.4.3-5 (from rawhide)
gnome-desktop-2.2.0.1-4
htmlview-2.0.0-10
gaim-0.59.8-0

Firebird is
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030728 Mozilla
Firebird/0.6.1

Cheers
Luke