[plug] MS vulnerability

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Aug 15 15:21:13 WST 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Craig Ringer wrote:

> > MS has discontinued support (no more patches) for NT4, and presumably
> > NT3.x.

   ... snip ...

> I suspect that increasingly NT4 will be all bugged out. That is, most
> security holes it has will have been fixed, and new ones will mostly be
> discovered in /newer/ MS OSes. Also, I'd be really surprised if there
> were many NT4 boxes connected directly to the 'net anymore.

Interestingly a couple of colleagues here at UWA report no instances of
infection on NT4 workstation machines and happily I'm in the same
situation.  I tend to agree that the impact will be on W2k and more likely
XP.

To return to a Linux theme, what firewall is the bee's knees?   I've
seen good comments on this list regards SmoothWall.   I suppose there'll
be several considerations beyond the obvious like manageability and
throughput.

Cheers,
Denis