[plug] MS vulnerability

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 15 14:31:30 WST 2003

> MS has discontinued support (no more patches) for NT4, and presumably
> NT3.x.
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39115709,00.htm

*arrggh*
*gurgle*
(goes looking for a low-end pentium to put between the NT4 box and the
rest of the LAN).

> The number of legacy systems out there is far more than MS like.. I
> wonder if these unpatchable (unmaintained and closed source) OS will act
> as sounding boards for future worms, virii etc in the future.. Meaning
> that now that MS is retiring support, the need to keep on top of patches
> for w2K, W2003 and XP is even more importan.

I suspect that increasingly NT4 will be all bugged out. That is, most
security holes it has will have been fixed, and new ones will mostly be
discovered in /newer/ MS OSes. Also, I'd be really surprised if there
were many NT4 boxes connected directly to the 'net anymore.

That said, I wasn't kidding about firewalling off our (unfortunately
rather critical) NT4 box from the rest of the LAN as much as possible.

Craig Ringer