[plug] bus errors

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 15 21:43:14 WST 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 08:37:42PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> I just noticed this on the peg at peg.com progress users list, and
> thought I'd forward it on. I seem to remember someone here asking
> about having bus errors recently, and this post explains them very
> nicely.

Didn't recognize you as a fellow pegger. :-)

[bus errors]
> Both of these errors are often caused by software bugs,
> incompatible shared libraries, corrupted executables, corrupted
> data files, and the like, and only very rarely by hardware
> failures.

This is what I keep telling their support desk people but they keep
insisting it's bad hardware! :-)

The usual problem in a Progress RDBMS is when data are read and not
validated before use. Some people would rather have really high
transaction rates with spectacular crashes, than moderate
performance that doesn't even blink.

A worse situation is when the corrupted data are able to be re-used
and infect other data. Data cancer.