[plug] Printer sharing Dodgy

Ryan Smith ryan at westnet.net.au
Sat Aug 16 11:53:37 WST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Quintin Lette" <quintin at arach.net.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: [plug] Printer sharing Dodgy

> Using IPP printing through CUPS worked fine to a windows 2000 workstation
that
> logged onto my network.
>
> You just have to setup the permissions to allow cups to be browseable,
etc.

> ie, I have these entries in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf : (comments added here)
I tried adding these lines (making sure that i havent doubled up aswell)
but still access denied.
now also i cant access the cups admin page.
For IIP printing I'm guessing that the path Im supposed to use is
http://<server>:631/printers/<printer>

> Please note this is not the complete config file, just entries that are
> interesting to allowing printing access to network.  The cupsd.conf file
is
> quite verbosely commented and reasonably easy to understand.  This may
also
> not be 100% secure, but it _should_(tm) get you printing from w2k. I can
> provide my entire working config file if you need but I'll only do that if
> required. In windows 2000 it was quite easy to add the printer, but I
don't
> have any windows clients here and I can't remember what I did. (I used it
> couple of times with my friend's W2k laptop, but I put debian on it for
him
> so I can't even test when he visits next)

adding the printers is the easy part is just that win keeps on complaining
Access denied, unable to connect. Im samba i have the printer as browseable,
but i cant see it unless i restart samba.

Ryan

"Perhaps I broke Cups while dancing the Samba"