[plug] Printer sharing Dodgy

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Fri Aug 15 11:53:03 WST 2003

Using IPP printing through CUPS worked fine to a windows 2000 workstation that
logged onto my network.

You just have to setup the permissions to allow cups to be browseable, etc.

ie, I have these entries in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf : (comments added here)

Browsing On
BrowseProtocols All
BrowseAddress @LOCAL	#this one allows browsing local network (non routed) only
BrowseAllow @LOCAL #allowing only local network to browse
BrowsePort 631

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From @LOCAL
</Location>

<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From @LOCAL
</Location>

Please note this is not the complete config file, just entries that are
interesting to allowing printing access to network.  The cupsd.conf file is
quite verbosely commented and reasonably easy to understand.  This may also
not be 100% secure, but it _should_(tm) get you printing from w2k. I can
provide my entire working config file if you need but I'll only do that if
required. In windows 2000 it was quite easy to add the printer, but I don't
have any windows clients here and I can't remember what I did. (I used it a
couple of times with my friend's W2k laptop, but I put debian on it for him
so I can't even test when he visits next)

HTH

Quintin