[plug] nvidia

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Aug 17 01:52:08 WST 2003

> My problem is that whenever I install the nvidia glx & driver stuff and
> then fire off X, my scrren goes black and then I get a half white & red
> cursor square cursor in top left corner and some garbage in bottom
> right.
>
> My only way to get out of this screen is with ctrl-alt-delete which will
> restart
> whole pc.

Interesting. When you hit CTL-ALT-DEL, does it take a little while to
shut down or does it immediately reset? If it takes a minute to shut
downe, then while XFree has probably mangled your video state,
everything else is probably working fine. OTOH, if it reboots
immediately then the kernel isn't catching the CTL-ALT-DEL and something
has probably died.

What NVidia card are you using, anyway? I always had good results with
the NVidia cards under Debian - a GeForce2 GTS, a GeForce 4 MX 440, and
my current GeForce 4200 Ti (now under RH9). All AGP cards, of course.

Also consider trying the 'nv' driver instead of 'nvidia' and see if that
  works. If it does, then at least you know it's an nvidia-driver
specific issue.

Craig Ringer