[plug] OpenOffice.org 1.1

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Aug 18 00:05:35 WST 2003

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:16, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> I played with the scan->PDF yesterday.

Well... I don't seem to have one of those on my 1.1.0RC3. But I->G->Scan
lists "Select Source..." and "Request...", the latter of which does
nothing visible.

The former pops up a useful looking window, allows me to preview what's
on the scanner deck and change lots of options clearly derived by
interrogating the scanner (attached to my wife's machine), then also
does nothing visible when I clock OK. If I do that twice running, I get
to send an error report to OOo, which seems to work well but was not my
original intent. (-:

> I would like to encourage all of you to download RC3 and give it a
> go.

Likewise. It works at least as well as 1.0.3 and it's *fast*.

It also has gobs and gobs of configuration options which weren't
available in 1.0.3, which was very interesting and pleasing. One
still-missing item is the size of the File/Open history.

The database configuration is much expanded but outside the more complex
interface methods only a MySQL connector (via OOo, not via Sun like all
of the others, anyone know why?) is provided.

The addition of a PostgreSQL connector in the default list would be much
appreciated (the one at http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/postgresql/
doesn't work for me, see below), for that special shiny "native" feel.
And if you can do PostgreSQL, how hard is ibFirebird?

During the install it found the dictionaries I was using with 1.0.3 (in
a completely different directory, so I presume it worked back from
~/.openoffice/ to discover them) and copied them into itself. Very
nice.

Cheers; Leon

PS: maybe this is why the postgresql driver does not register (similar
results for -impl library, system is Mandrake 9.1):

ldd postgresql-sdbc.uno.so
        libcppu.so.3 => not found
        libcppuhelpergcc3.so.3 => not found
        libsal.so.3 => not found
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40021000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i686/libpthread.so.0 (0x40024000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/i686/libm.so.6 (0x40074000)
        libstlport_gcc.so => not found
        libstdc++.so.3 => not found
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40096000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/libc.so.6 (0x400a0000)

The instructions are a also bit vague. They seem to indicate copying the
driver files directly into $OOODIR/user/uno_packages but IRL the zip
file, untouched, goes into $OOODIR/share/uno_packages (determined by
iterative experiment and a strace of pkgchk --shared --verbose).