[plug] Any experience with NT1-plus ISDN modem?

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Mon Aug 18 22:48:31 WST 2003

On Monday 18 August 2003 21:07, Gavin Rogers wrote:
> At 08:58 PM 18/08/2003 +0800, you wrote:
> >Hi peoples
> >
> >I am about to embark on a trial using Telstra's new 'ISDN Internet
> >Plan', using an NT1-Plus II box and wondering if anyone has been
> >there, done it already. It'll be attached to a Debian (Woody)
> >firewall box, either USB or serial, whichever works. I'd prefer
> > USB, which is already working as far as CD reader/writer is
> > concerned.
>
> I used to be on ISDN (now on ADSL, phew!) and I had one of these
> NT1's.
>
> I had a Cisco router connecting directly into it so I didn't use
> the in-built facilities much but I did try for a sort while to get
> Linux to talk to the box via USB and didn't have much luck. Over
> serial it works fine, emulating a normal AT command set modem (use
> pppconfig and friends) - but your speed will be limited to the
> serial port's maximum 115k of ISDN's 128k maximum.
>
> Also, don't forget to put in the AT commands (I think I saw them on
> whirlpool) to tell the NT1 plus to do rate adjusting so it doesn't
> hog both phone lines all the time.
>

> Cheers,
> Gavin.

I suspected the USB would be fun :) but I will probably try it later.
For now the serial sounds easier. ADSL is not an option here, 25km
south of Nannup, and although I am only 2.5km from the RIM exchange I
consider myself lucky to get a rock solid ISDN connection. Last modem
call was 13.5 days on one local call, and it was me that accidentally
disconnected it or it would still be on line now!

Westnet will only give me a 64k connection unless I purchase a second
plan (and a second monthly charge) so serial port speed is not going
to be a problem. Unless they forgot to throttle the link of course :)

to be only available in the Perth Metro area. At least that is what
Westnet says. I have a basic installation manual for the NT1, I think
I can download the extra info on the AT commands. Thanks for the
offer.

By the way, the $16.50 per month 'ISDN internet plan' is available
from Telstra, but don't expect to find it on their website, unless
you download and look at chapter 7A of the Standard Form Of Agreement
(SFOA) at
http://www.westnet.net.au/westnet/about/imgs/ISDN%20Internet%20Plan%20_%20SFOA%20terms%20and%20conditions.pdf

As a result, none of the staff on the Telstra phone enquires know
anything about it, even though it has been available since 28th july.
It took me one and a half hours and several phone calls to get to a
technical boffin who knew what I was talking about. I can pass on his
contact details off list if anyone else needs to know. I'd hate to
put anyone else through over an hour of elevator music toture :)

Thanks

Steve

--
'What is worth doing and what is worth having?'
I would like to say simply this.