[plug] Wireless Internet access in Perth CBD?

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Wed Aug 20 01:49:12 WST 2003

Hi all,

I seem to remember hearing something about free-to-access wireless Internet access in the Perth CBD.  Am I recalling correctly that this even exists?  If so, can anyone point me in the direction of more information?

I'll be spending another holiday in the RPH bone marrow transplant unit and it occurs to me that it might not be too difficult to get Internet access for those of us sealed in the isolation rooms on that ward for weeks or months at a time if this free wireless access is really there.

A few donated pentiums with a GUI and mozilla would be a great morale booster for patients who need all the help they can get on that particular ward.  A $15 surchage (which could be offset by donations) for a new cheapo keyboard and mouse for each new patient would take out the possibility of hygeine issues arising from reusing those items from patient to patient (people on this ward usually have had their immune systems completely wiped out, so this is a significant concern).  The only expensive items would be the wireless NICs/router used to access the wireless network if it exists.

Getting the hospital to provide this is not a possibility.  They simply could not afford it.  It would have to be donated and then maintained by a group...a group such as PLUG or KLUG.  There're a lot of donated items in those isolation rooms such as desks and VCRs and radios.  Even just a few rooms with these computers would be a good start.

I wouldn't mind getting the ball rolling and setting things up if there's even a chance of this getting off the ground.  However, in all honesty, I doubt I'll be around to maintain anything after this year/early next year (I'm heading into this unit for the second time later this morning, and if I'm very lucky a third time later this year).

TIA,

Ari

http://www.operamail.com
Get OperaMail Premium today - USD 29.99/year