[plug] hidden files

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Wed Aug 20 11:22:19 WST 2003

Thanks, but what I ended up doing is using this command #find / -name ".*" > hidden.lst

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> John.Usher at perth.maptek.com.au 10:39:17 AM 20/08/2003 >>>
This is probably not an answer to the question, but one place that you
can effectively get hidden files is
under mount points.

I have found occasions where literally hundreds of megs of a filesystem
have disappeared because they were under a directory that then had a
'mount' mapped onto it.

eg /usr/gumby has a couple of hundred megs of files and directories
under it.

you then 'mount /dev/mybignewdrive /usr/gumby'

counting your bytes with a 'du' on the filesystem gives a result that
doesn't seem to match the 'df' figures. ;-)

an dismount and a check of the mount points can be a good idea - it does
happen that people copy stuff to mount points when nothing is mounted
there ... :)