[plug] TSG code identified, it's from Unix v6 published in 1976

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 20 15:52:37 WST 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 09:28:57AM +0800, Scott Middleton wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 09:10, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 08:59:44AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > > http://perens.com/Articles/SCOCopiedCode.html
> > >
> > > A rather more complete account of the situation.
> > >
> > > If this /is/ the best they can do, not some trickyness, then
> > > SCO is f**ed.

> > Trading of SCO shares should be suspended, pending investigation by
> > the FBI. *Nobody* can be that incompetent or stupid and survive
> > outside an iron lung.

> Hating to sound cynical. But do you really think they would show
> their best code?

What is the point of using published code as an example of
prorietary information?

They claimed it was proprietary code that could only have been
obtained through IBM or other SV licencee.

> Mind you i would've thought that if they had
> several really good examples they could've given away one minor
> example. They know as soon as  hey show one "real" example there
> will be a new unadulterated kernel version in about 5 minutes.
>
> But i do agree that share trading should be suspended.

I'd say that's the safest approach to prevent the market getting
milked and the board emigrating to the Bahamas after providing
themselves with a generous golden parachute.

> I saw on TV last week or so, something about some company that
> owns 95% of the patents for DNA and they are suiting people
> retrospectively for the gene research. Is this similar? Has a new
> way of doing business evolved?

Irrelevant. Patents are distinct from Copyright.
They are also distinct from NDAs and contract law(s).