[plug] ssh keys

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Aug 22 10:55:19 WST 2003

In message <sf45fca2.049 at mmtnetworks.com.au>
on Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 11:20:51AM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> I need to have on a rhl server the ssh public key from several
> locations (home and office).  Do I need to use the same key or is
> there a way to add multiple public keys to the one authorized_keys
> file on the main servers?

You can use multiple keys. (You could also use the same key with
different passphrases in each location.)

> In other words if I generate the public key on one workstation (office
> desktop) and I add this to the servers. Do I need to copy the desktop
> key to the home PC also?

You can have separate key pairs for home and office, if you like. If
they both need to connect to a third computer, put both public keys into
the authorized_keys file (one per line). This is described *extensively*
in the OpenSSH man pages.