[plug] Linux thin clients

Stephen Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Fri Aug 22 17:52:59 WST 2003

><snip>
>> Try Everything Linux - they're Australian, delivery has been prompt
>> for me, and I think their prices are reasonable. I bought an
>ELS1003
>> - Via C3 533MHz fanless with 40GB - it's now running as my
>> firewall/server. Quiet enough to leave on in the house!
>
>I must agree with steve here, their service is really good. I also
>have one of these babies setup as a fw/gateway, except my fans make
>a little noise, Ishould take them out but the HDD seems to generate
>heat :)
>
>cheers

Yep - I found the same. Event though they are called 'fanless', they
actually have two 40mm fans near the hard drive which gets too hot
for my liking without them. One of the fans has developed a noisy
bearing, so they will both be replaced with hopefully quieter high
quality units shortly. The fans can be unplugged, and the CPU does
not need one. It runs nice and cool without. If I had thought ahead,
I might have fitted a laptop drive, which should be quieter and not
need fans at all.

Steve