[plug] Linux thin clients

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Aug 27 15:05:37 WST 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:55:25 +0800 Nick Bannon <nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

>  * 44 pin 2mm spacing laptop IDE cable to 40 pin (plus power) full-size
>    IDE device cable. I have an adaptor that goes the other way (laptop
>    drive in a desktop machine) but the one I want seems very rare...
>
> No electronics in any of these to speak of, perhaps we could clone them
> ourselves.

Hi Nick

I've seen the full IDE to laptop drive cable made (locally I think) by
separating the finer pitch cable and fanning it manually into a large
40 pin IDC (crimp connector) and crimping down on the individual wires
then soldering the left over power wires onto an inline disk drive
connector. It looks a lot tidier than I've described it :-)

I'm suspecting that you could do the reverse if the 2mm pitch IDC
connector is available. Fancy a bit of hardware hacking ? BYO scissors
and vice.

Meantime, I'll found out where my client got those cables from.

cu
Harry

.. who is about to get on his bicycle and collect four little stainless
steel computer boxes from Willeton ..

--
linux.conf.au 2004		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://lca2004.linux.org.au/	12-17 January 2004, Adelaide, South Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/