[plug] Linux thin clients

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Tue Aug 26 15:02:16 WST 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:51 pm, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > Apparently one of VIA's C3 boards will come with a PCMCIA slot as well
> > as 2 NICs. Does that help?
>
> Actually, thinking about it a little more (in other words, my brain
> failed to engage a few minutes ago), that would do the job OK. We'll see
> what the prices are like. The VIA one will be more powerful (faster CPU,
> expandable RAM, etc), and if it has PCI it'll be almost as flexible, but
> we'll see how it goes.
>
> What really interests me about the Soekris board is the ability to add a
> /mini-PCI/ wireless card. They don't have a built-in antenna, but rather
> their own small antenna connector ... so I could put a good antenna
> somewhere, without having to worry too much about where the firewall
> was. Maybe there are PCI cards with that, too, though.

Yes there are :-) I have one like that :-) (a compaq wl200 which supposedly
has linux support - its on its way into my p166 firewall machine just as soon
as I get my UPS batteries replaced) afaik the cheap minitar ones ($69 at
pcrange.biz and I've seen them cheaper in Perth but can't remember where off
hand) have a detachable antenna and supposedly an opensource (don't know what
licence) linux driver

> Craig Ringer

Quintin