[plug] Linux thin clients

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 26 15:33:49 WST 2003

> Minitar.. . If theres a large enough order, I'm sure I could arrange
> something. Anyone else interested?
>
> IIRC, PCI + PCMCIA, both around $45-50.

The copyright statement from the drivers, fixed to wrap properly.

  * (c) Copyright 2002, Ralink Technology, Inc.
  *
  * All rights reserved. Ralink's source code is an unpublished work and
     the use of a copyright notice does not imply otherwise. This source
code contains confidential trade secret material of Ralink Tech. Any
attemp or participation in deciphering, decoding, reverse engineering or
in     any way altering the source code is stricitly prohibited, unless
the     prior written consent of Ralink Technology, Inc. is obtained.

Yay. Amusing given that I just downloaded this "unpublished work" from
the minitar website, too.

A comment from
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/76869
:

   Reading through the documentation (which brings new meaning
   to bad English), and poking through the source, it doesn't
   look like this driver supports "iwconfig" at all, or anything
   for that matter in the realm of kernel wireless API, yet
   there's a whole mess of .c for wep and authentication...
   its version 1.0, he might not have it working with wireless
   extensions correctly just yet. Of course... the source if 9
   months old.

   Checking through that RH-centric binary package though,
   it seems that they have included a configuration binary
   along with the rest of the mess, so theorectically you could
   use the RH-festival of stuff and let it install the configuration
   utility and the worthless RH module, then install your
   handcompiled module over it.

   Then, as far as I can tell, fire up /usr/local/bin/RaConfig
    (from X as it seems this thing won't work from the command line),
    and see if that has some enc/essid functionality to it.

In other words - looks dodgy as hell, and I'm staying right away from
this one.

Also, see:
https://wireless.org.au/archives/melbwireless/2003/Jul/13946.html
which suggests that the hardware may not be too hot either.

Craig Ringer