[plug] Java plugin in Mozilla slow....

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Aug 26 16:20:41 WST 2003

In message <3F4B1554.4000707 at jensz.id.au>
on Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 04:07:48PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> "Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2-b28" on the Mozilla plugins page.

The first two digits of Sun's Java version numbers are actually the
slowdown factor relative to an arbitrary speed of '1'. So, 1.4 is slower
than 1.3 is slower than 1.2, etc. (This is qualitatively true.)

> Basically the page I'm trying to load up is the web based administration
> interface on an HP Procurve 2500 series managed switch.

In that case, you'll need Java
1.4.2-b29-please-muffle-my-screams-so-my-neighbours-can-sleep.

> but its taking literally a couple of minutes under Linux on exactly
> the same machine.

Just out of curiosity...I assume your browser is downloading all the
Applets from the switch and invoking them with the Applet parameters
from the switch's web pages. Downloading an Applets can also involve
downloading its dependencies. Can you check that your machine is not
downloading dependencies from somewhere other than the switch (i.e.
it's not trying to download them from the Sun or HP websites, which is
the sort of thing that slows down performance by "a couple of minutes"
as you describe). If not...what can you see when things are taking "a
couple of minutes". Is it while the Applets are loading, or while they
are gathering info from the switch? Does the interface work correctly
and quickly once the Applets have finished their initial loading?

> Anyone got any ideas?

HP should outsource its development of user interfaces.