[plug] Java plugin in Mozilla slow....

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Tue Aug 26 19:30:10 WST 2003

James Devenish wrote:

>In message <3F4B3DC8.6020409 at jensz.id.au>
>on Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 07:00:24PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
>

>>Even if it was downloading things, surely it would cache it
>>and not download it every time anyway.
>>

>"it" being the Java plug-in?
>

>>But it doesn't happen under Windows with Mozilla.
>>

>I guess from where I'm sitting, Mandrake Linux can't be assumed to be
>identical to Microsoft Windows, even though they both have "Java" and
>"Mozilla", etc. <shrug>

Well the software involved is the same.  Mozilla, JRE etc.  I wouldn't
think they should vary much at all being the same version as being used
on Windows even if they are on a different platform.

>Anyway, if the browser says "Loading Applet" the whole time then I guess
>it's to be believed. Otherwise, my random idea would have been to ask
>whether you have any packet filter for Linux that would be blocking
>SNMP/UDP, for instance (maybe Java is trying to access the switch using
>one protocol and can't, so it switches to another, more successful one).

I'll do some more mucking around with it when I'm at work tomorrow and
see what I turn up.

>BTW I don't suppose the delay is always very close to a multiple of 30
>seconds, is it? That could be suggestive of some sort of timeout rather
>than merely slowness.

Didn't have my stopwatch out :)

>You have no
>trouble with any other Java applets accessed via Mozilla/Mandrake?

Didn't bother about getting Java for any other pages until today for the
Procurve web interface as basically Java is the whole thing and most
other pages I visit with Java, the applets aren't required  for the page
to function (e.g. CBA's NetBank), so I didn't bother until now, so I
haven't checked it with others yet.

I was just curious before checking things out thoroughly and banging my
head against a wall in case it was something simple that someone had
come across before.  If I figure it out, I'll post the results anyway
for anyone else in the future.

/ Ben