[plug] Java plugin in Mozilla slow....

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Aug 26 19:12:23 WST 2003

In message <3F4B3DC8.6020409 at jensz.id.au>
on Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 07:00:24PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Even if it was downloading things, surely it would cache it
> and not download it every time anyway.

"it" being the Java plug-in?

> But it doesn't happen under Windows with Mozilla.

I guess from where I'm sitting, Mandrake Linux can't be assumed to be
identical to Microsoft Windows, even though they both have "Java" and
"Mozilla", etc. <shrug>

Anyway, if the browser says "Loading Applet" the whole time then I guess
it's to be believed. Otherwise, my random idea would have been to ask
whether you have any packet filter for Linux that would be blocking
SNMP/UDP, for instance (maybe Java is trying to access the switch using
one protocol and can't, so it switches to another, more successful one).
BTW I don't suppose the delay is always very close to a multiple of 30
seconds, is it? That could be suggestive of some sort of timeout rather
than merely slowness.

> It wasn't a network problem as I'm plugged directly into one of them

Ah...well...! I have no ideas about what might be typically wrong with a
Mozilla <-> Java plugin interaction...I don't suppose there is any way
of getting diagnostic information from either of them? You have no
trouble with any other Java applets accessed via Mozilla/Mandrake?