[plug] that Netway Computers board...

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 28 10:55:53 WST 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:25:23AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 09:09, Scott Middleton wrote:
> > Heat is always an issue with these though. Cupboards and modern
> > computers don't go too well together. Remember the days  when
> > CPU's were big and heat sinks were not. I remember running the
> > old P133 without a fan on it at all. In-fact one day i crossed
> > the fan wires wrong and i was actually heating up the CPU and it
> > still ran.

> Uhm, AFAIK, unless you're actively adding heat, you're not heating
> the CPU at all.

> There is an argument that supports sucking air away from a CPU
> attracts cool air from a diffuse source around the CPU. Similarly,
> there is an opposite and equally plausible argument that says that
> blowing lots of air onto the CPU from a diffuse source above the
> fan achieves the same.  The only real important thing is that the
> air moves - in what ever way you can make that happen.

Well there is a thermodynamic difference to blowing air onto it and
sucking it past.

The main difference is that by blowing the air onto a heat source,
the flow from a fan is more likely to be turbulent. By sucking it
past the heat source, it is more likely to be laminar. The
effectiveness of heat transfer depends on the degree of turbulence
as well. Heat transfer by (forced) convection is very, very complex
and exhibits quite non-linear behaviour.

> The point I'm getting to - in a long winded fashion admittedly -
> is that the best cooling I can hope to achieve inside the box, is
> for all of the air to be the same temperature. I dump heat through

Air is a very poor conductor of heat. Whenever possible, the heat
sinks of the main heat sources should be thermally-connected to the
exterior using a good conductor; possibly copper.