Cheap Laptops. Was: [plug] linux on ibook

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 28 11:15:44 WST 2003

Michael Hunt wrote:

> I'm looking for a cheap laptop to take notes in lectures and have been
> seriously tempted to buy an ibook of ebay just so I can run linux on it
> !!!
>
> Feel the power of the force Luke !!!
>
> Michael Hunt

I'm also looking for a cheapish laptop with lots of grunt (I know, they
don't go together).  Have you considered ibm.com.au- 1.8GHz celeron with
20gig hdd, 16mb ati Raedon video, 128mb pc2100 ddr sdram, cdrom for
$1500.  Just a thought.

Has anyone had any dealings with cybershop.net.au?  Their prices look
reasonable for laptops.  I'm looking at one with a celeron 2.0GHz mobile
cpu but can anyone give me an idea of the performance hit when
considered against the same speed P4-Mobile?  I tend to think the diff
in price is better spent on going from 256mb ram to 512mb ram but I
would like to get some idea of the trade off I am making.

Thanks,
Tim Bowden