Cheap Laptops. Was: [plug] linux on ibook

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 28 19:15:09 WST 2003

> My budget is very very very limited. Think notes being taken in a VI
> console session (no X) ;-). But seriously prices I am looking at are
> somewhere between $500 and $1000. If I had $2k to spare I would be going
> for a new clone at wholesale.
>
> It is pretty much going to be a glorfied mobile word processor with the
> possibilty of running it as a mobile thin client to my main desktop
> machine when I am at home.

Second hand would be useful, but you won't have /any/ warranty, and
expect battery life to be poor (worn out battery). New batteries are
often expensive for older models, and frequently "refurbished" (read:
really inferior). Don't buy gateway, they don't even operate in the
country anymore.

You're unlikely to find a new laptop for those kinds of prices. A cheapo
PC w/o monitor is $600 to $700 after all. So some kind of older 2/h
laptop will be the way to go.

Craig Ringer