Cheap Laptops. Was: [plug] linux on ibook

Luke Dudney dex at wn.com.au
Thu Aug 28 19:26:01 WST 2003

On 28/08/2003 7:15 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

>> My budget is very very very limited. Think notes being taken in a VI
>> console session (no X) ;-). But seriously prices I am looking at are
>> somewhere between $500 and $1000. If I had $2k to spare I would be going
>> for a new clone at wholesale.
>>
>> It is pretty much going to be a glorfied mobile word processor with the
>> possibilty of running it as a mobile thin client to my main desktop
>> machine when I am at home.
>

> Second hand would be useful, but you won't have /any/ warranty, and
> expect battery life to be poor (worn out battery). New batteries are
> often expensive for older models, and frequently "refurbished" (read:
> really inferior). Don't buy gateway, they don't even operate in the
> country anymore.
>
> You're unlikely to find a new laptop for those kinds of prices. A
> cheapo PC w/o monitor is $600 to $700 after all. So some kind of older
> 2/h laptop will be the way to go.
>
> Craig Ringer

I picked up an Acer Travelmate 512T (Celery 366, 64mb ram, 4g HDD) from
an online auction site. It was ex-lease and runs fine, I get about 2
hours battery on it IIRC. Runs RH9 fine, only problem was it needed a
special driver for the inbuilt LT winmodem, and that now works fine.

I got it from http://www.graysonline.com.au/ for $420.

Cheers
Luke