[plug] Debian internet connection

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 29 11:24:28 WST 2003

>>Just now, when I try to connect to the net, I get these messages saying that
>>the remote server needs to be validated and the secret password cannot be
>>found and I get no connection.

It's trying to get the remote ppp server to authenticate back to you, as
is standard in two-way authenticated ppp links like between servers, but
most ISPs don't have anything like that set up. The option "noauth"
tells pppd not to attempt to authenticate the remote host.

Add "noauth" to the appropriate file in /etc/ppp/peers (whatever you use
with "pon" to connect to your ISP). If you want it global, and never
intend to allow dial-in, add it to /etc/ppp/options instead.

Craig Ringer