[plug] More news?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 29 13:01:27 WST 2003

> One thing you alluded to, but didn't clearly state is that most linux
> distros install a lot of user applications, which windows does not.
> i.e., the train simulator alert would go against the linux OS, but the
> same program with the same "hole" written for windows doesn't get lumped
> with the OS, heavily skewing the stats in favour of windows.
>
> Am I wrong here?

No, you're not. Which is why "security surveys" and articles comparing
linux and windows security as if they were products doing the same thing
are so TOTALLY STUPID. Among other things, local exploits in windows
rarely get reported unless they can be indirectly used remotely - after
all, if an os is inherently crackable by any console user, why bother
reporting /another/ local exploit in Windows Explorer? It is widely
suspected that MS bundle unannounced security fixes into their service
packs and product patches, further messing with the numbers. There's the
differences in the nature of the product - bsdic OS vs entire working
environment.

Let's compare OpenBSD to Windows - the functionality is a bit closer -
and see how Windows comes off ;-)

Nonetheless, viruses are a serious issue that we WILL be dealing with on
linux, and there are far too many security holes and exploits as it is.

Craig Ringer