[plug] SourceForge.net

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Aug 30 00:16:15 WST 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 12:35:57PM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> The highest profile place to manage this looks to be SourceForge.net.

I personally (and from what I hear from others) have had much pain
with SourceForge's CVS servers - they aren't stable enough for me
to do serious work with them (probably under high load?)

> So, apart from doing the same on my own host - and then have the
> community be dependent on my ability to stay afloat, what happens if the
> unthinkable actually comes to pass?

Keep backups :) SourceForget doesn't guarantee that your data will
keep on existing forever and warns you to make backups. Recently the
's' disk on sf went kaput and the backup replacement was a couple of
days old - bad news for some people who weren't keeping backups.

What they are good for though is their distributed download servers,
integrated bug tracking, mailing lists, and the other perks (okay,
some of it has a painful to use interface, but all in all it's
really handy! :)

HTH,

Bernard.

--