[plug] SourceForge.net

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Aug 29 13:55:49 WST 2003

In message <1062131756.20668.360.camel at latte.internal.itmaze.com.au>
on Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 12:35:57PM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> I've read a bit of their documentation, but I cannot see what will
> happen if one day VA Software Corporation goes out of business or gets
> bought by someone less supportive of Open Source. Ultimately, they're
> footing the bill for the link(s) and the server(s).

Many SF-hosted projects have faced the prospect already this year,
because SourceForge's existing systems have been buckling under load.
Some projects arranged alternative hosting months ago. The projects
haven't been in danger of being "taken over" by anybody (SourceForge,
after all, does not hold copyright or patents for most of the work that
it hosts) but sf.net has been highly dysfunctional for development.