[plug] I have a new hat!

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 2 09:42:41 WST 2003

At 09:16 2/12/2003 +0800, Derek Fountain wrote:
> > I know that WA is Debian-country

Actually it seems surprisingly multi-partite in the OS stakes.   Kimberly,
maybe time for another poll - count of OS's in use, OS's tested?

>  but has anyone else played with Fedora?
> > Does anyone here use it as their primary OS?
>
>What's your verdict on it? I was considering installing it on a test machine,
>but saw a review which suggested it wasn't quite cooked. I thought I'd wait
>for the next release before taking a look. What do you think?

Just a quick word of caution/advice/whatever...  on the internal UWA
technical list a message indicating that a colleague used yum to update
"several files from the Fedora site" including rpm.  "This killed rpm." so
he had to do a fresh install as it would not allow him to remove it (the
updated rpm.)   It's probably the equivalent of installing unstable bits of
Debian into a stable Debian, but then I've not been tempted to make smoke
that way, myself :-)

HTH,
Denis