[plug] I have a new hat!

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Dec 2 13:50:26 WST 2003

> Just a quick word of caution/advice/whatever...  on the internal UWA
> technical list a message indicating that a colleague used yum to update
> "several files from the Fedora site" including rpm.  "This killed rpm."

Interesting.

> so he had to do a fresh install as it would not allow him to remove it
> (the updated rpm.)   It's probably the equivalent of installing unstable
> bits of Debian into a stable Debian, but then I've not been tempted to
> make smoke that way, myself :-)

I've updated XFree86, gtk2, and a bunch of other stuff from Fedora, so
I'm running a hybrid Fedora/RH9 system. It works perfectly - I'm really
impressed. I wasn't forced to download most of the core of Fedora just
to upgrade a few packages, either, which I always found I had to do to
get bits of sid (it always seemed to want to update glibc, locales, gcc,
etc etc).

Craig Ringer