[plug] Debian: will it ever be the same?

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Tue Dec 2 10:48:59 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 08:21, Onno Benschop wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 11:03, Chris Caston wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed that active develop of unstable has ceased since
> > the break-in? I've been apt-getting fresh air for over a week now.
>
> This doesn't surprise me at all, in fact I'm glad to read that this is
> your experience - I've held off doing any updating at all since the
> intrusion for fear of picking up something that doesn't belong.
>
> I'm also pretty impressed that the team found and tracked the intrusion
> and located the actual source.
>
> All I want to know is: "How do I get that kind of logging/detection on
> my systems?"

Not very specific but this is what one article reports:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/01/1070127318372.html

"Troup said that on November 20, it had been noticed that the kernel on
a server called master, which hosts the project's bug tracking system,
was doing an oops - something which occurs when the kernel code gets
into an unrecoverable state.

He said suspicions were aroused when the server named murphy, which
hosts the mailing lists, started showing the same error."

Does anyone recommend any particular detection service? I've had tiger
running on my machine, but I've turned it off because its always
complaining about famd and java (tnameserv) running - but I must admit I
haven't really looked into it.